Spin Alley – Necessary?

Have you heard of spin alley? I had not heard of it until I was watch the pre-debate coverage of the Oct. 7 Presidential debate on Fox News Channel. As a public relations student I was intrigued by this concept, so I did some research the next day. I found a column by Chicago Tribune columnist Phil Rosenthal. The spin room is essentially where representatives of each candidate spit information at the media saying how their candidate won the debate. Rosenthal argued that spin alley is no longer necessary because the candidate representatives just recite talking points, not on what was actually said at the debate. I agree with the statement because it serves no purpose. The media already knows the candidates talking points. Although public relations was not mentioned in the column I think the word “spin” implies it. As a future public relations professional I would not want to be associated with that word or the concept of the word. What do you think? Do you agree with Rosenthal or not? Would you work as a candidate “representative” and participate in spin alley?

This entry was posted in The Agency and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Spin Alley – Necessary?

1. asbrooks04 says:

I agree that blatant “spin” after a debate seems pretty useless, especially, as Rosenthal says, reporters don’t pay much attention and don’t really have time for it in the story. But I think this is only a very small part of campaign PR. It is, afterall, the PR folk who get the ball rolling on ludicrous over-exaggerations, like Obama’s “lipstick on a pig” remark. So even though reporters might be savvy to post-debate spin doctors, they certainly eat up any number of other campaign PR stunts.

2. ccharvey says:

I think that the concept of the “spin room” reminds me of a press conference after a game or perhaps even a post-game discussion between fans. Dispite there being a clear cut winner in a game, specific plays or referee rulings can still be debated and talked about much like the statements by politicians in a debate. Although it may not change who the winner was, many people who missed the debate or game could learn something they missed. I don’t think that the “spin” put on by a political party is any different than the “spin” that a fan puts on their discussion.