The Demise of Journalism

Over at Bad Pitch Blog, the discussion on the demise of journalism is taking place. Kevin Dugan evaluates how quickly print outlets, especially newspapers, are to to layoff reporters due to the slumping economy and also the fact that the Internet is taking over – everything. He delves into how these cutbacks may or may not affect the public relations community.

It is no surprise that traditional journalism has been evolving with time along with every other industry out there. Our society is certainly technology driven and the majority of people can take in their news via the Internet which saves them time and saves them from the inevitable inky fingers.

How does the transformation of print media to a domination of online media affect PR? I think it will especially change the way we pitch. When building media lists, I focus on digital media targets because the chances of my client being read about in a popular blog with a large following (even though I hope blogging will not completely replace journalism), seems to be more likely nowadays then being read about in a local newspaper somewhere west of the Mississippi.

How do you fellow PR people feel about it? Should we concentrate more on pitching the online world or still give equal attention to where it all started; conventional print journalism. Also, because there seems to be a growing trend across the nation of letting go well-respected and veteran journalists, does that mean PR professionals are next? Should we be nervous that we are entering a field that may also be on the brink of demise? Or should we feel the opposite as Kevin suggests, that the decline of print media leaves more room for us to be successful and take over what “once ruled”?

Happy blogging,

Metis PR

This entry was posted in Metis PR and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to The Demise of Journalism

1. lbridge says:

It’s kind of crazy to think that maybe one day, journalism as we know it may be obsolete. I definitely agree that it will affect the way we conduct our work in the PR industry. While it’s strange to imagine not many people will be reading traditional forms of media, such as a newspaper, in the future, it is our job to find an alternative method, like blogs to use as targets, to still effectively get our message out there.

2. asbrooks04 says:

Personally, I refuse to believe that traditional reporting will ever cease to exist. It plays too important a role in our nation, public and as a government gatekeeper. Although, I have no doubt that the parameters of journalism have changed, and that trend is certain to continue, and sure, that means traditional PR will have to adjust and find news ways to work with and benefit from its close relative, but I would hate to see a society completely reliant on blogs as a source for information, truthful information anyway. There are too many Perez Hilton’s out there spouting out any old thing that comes to mind.
    The public isn’t stupid, it knows, for the most part at least, that many blogs are not reliable information — they’re entertainment — not news, not reliable, and not all are a very good resource for positive relationship building.

3. mara2009 says:

I don’t think that newspapers will ever be obsolete. (Bloggers are generally not accurate news gatherers.) However, the ones that survive will be the ones with a strong online presence and updated business model. I don’t know if small local papers will survive. That being said, PR professionals have to pitch to media outlets that reach a significant number of stakeholders. Also, I thought it was common knowledge that many former reporters become PR professionals.

4. dfishfel says:

I also do not believe that one day newspapers will be obsolete. The times are changing yes, but newspapers are a huge part of our society and culture. Maybe one day there will only be major newspapers, but they will exist. having said that, I do not disagree that the Internet and online media are extremely important and our going to continue to grow, so it is imperative that PR professionals realize this and change some of their old ways to accommodate this new growing trend. I also thinks is important that PR professionals pitch to the right sources of online media, meaning reliable, truthful, and ethical online media. Since it is very easy to have your own blog with out having much experience it’s important to research online media before trusting them.

5. ccharvey says:

I think that it is important to utilize the wide variety of media that we have. I think that there will always be a demand for some sort of traditional/conventional reporting as it provides structure and credibility that the online world lacks. Also, I feel like there will always be a need for television news since people, viewers and PR professionals, love the visual aspect.

6. brittz87 says:

Though blogging is becoming a popular pass-time or a profession for some Americans, I do not believe that newspapers will cease to exist because of it. Traditional journalism is in the process of a reinvention, but that doesn’t mean it’s out with the old. Our methods for gathering news have changed and it is important that our profession embraces the new times ahead, not fear them. I highly doubt that internet media will wipe out all forms on traditional journalism. I think we should realize that online media has a presence, but not get carried away with what some consider its “potential.”

7. lindsaylynch says:

I think that the electornic world that is emerging is very important to consider in all media aspects. I work in radio and we are so focused on what is online and who has the most hits because as funny as it sounds radio is so web-based that if you aren’t all over the web you really aren’t a big deal. Just like people reading the AZ Republic in Pennsylvania people can listen to our show in Pennsylvania by streaming online. I don’t think that the newspaper will ever completely disappear or be obsolete I just think that there will be more of a web presence in all media, whether it be radio, tv, journalism, etc.

8. kakeane says:

I certainly believe that newspapers will still be around, even with the digital age surrounding us. While online media is an important and undeniably growing trend, there are still stakeholders out there who prefer to get their news in a hard copy. Also, I think small newspapers will come and go, but they will never completely go away, as they can provide news to specific targets that large metropolitan newspapers wouldn’t bother to reach.

I’m certainly no fortune teller, but even if my opinion that newspapers will not die off is wrong, public relations will always be a necessary function, so long as companies and organizations still want to communicate with their stakeholders. While PR professionals will have to follow trends in how news and pitches are sent, there will always be a was to get the information out there.