A brave new world of research?

Over in the blog for the Social Media and PR class at St. Edward’s, a recent post pointed to some discussions about whether traditional consumer research is dying. Some believe that careful monitoring of online communities, populated by consumers interacting in “natural” ways without the forced guidance of surveys or focus groups, replace established ways of gathering information.

After reading the pieces linked from the above post, what do you think?

This entry was posted in Prof. Gilpin and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to A brave new world of research?

1. asbrooks04 says:

After reading the posted article, I have to admit, my opinion changed slightly. My first instinct in responding to this post was, that would be like journalists dropping traditional face-to-face iterviews. I agree that traditional research should evolve with the times and that, if not done correctly, focus groups can be severly unproductive and it would make sense to use those unproductive dollars somewhere else. However, I don’t think the practice of in-person interviews and focus groups should be thrown out completely as a primary research method. Just as focus group input can be skewed, so can tracking on-line chatter, if not analyzed properly. Maybe it’s the reporter in me, but old-fashioned, face-to-face interaction with your publics will always offer something internet spying cannot — real relationships. Isn’t that what good PR is all about, after all?